Friday, April 8, 2011

Mostly dead

I wrote earlier about my poor plants.
It didn't seem like it was an overly cold winter but all it takes is a few chilly days in a row to play havoc on the landscape plants. My plants have always seemed to make it through, but this year was far worse than ever before. My hubby cut everything back once it started to warm up. I was hoping that they would perk up....but up to now I hadn't seen much to give me hope. I walked over the other day to get a closer look. I figured if they were really dead i would rip them out of the ground. Upon closer inspection i saw this

close to the ground there were some signs of new life.
I was thrilled that i was not going to have to take them out.
There was hope....
As i was thinking about them being "mostly dead" it reminded me of a scene in the "Princess Bride" (one of my all time favorite movies)

Miracle Max: [Lifts and drops the arm of the dead Westley] I've seen worse.

Inigo Montoya: He's dead. He can't talk.

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much.
It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead.
There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead.
Mostly dead is slightly alive.
With all dead, well,
with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.

I love that--sometimes we are so ready to rush to a conclusion about things that we fail to give it the proper time needed for the miracle to happen.
Not just my plants but in my life as well.
We want the instant results.
We lack the patience needed to allow the miracles to take place.

Miracle Max went on to say this:
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.

I couldn't agree more.
Once again the earth is teaching me a lesson
"Be patient and things will slowly return to normal"

2 comments:

Dianne said...

There's a lot of profound thoughts showing up on your blog lately. The thing I love about "almost dead" plants is how much I enjoy and appreciate the new growth once it begins to appear. If the plant just looked like it usually did and the new leaves showed up I probably wouldn't even notice them. I think sometimes the miracle man wants to make sure we realize the miracles that are happening in our lives. I hope you see some more in your life soon.

mom of fab five said...

Oh my wise friend--thank you for the comment! I have been pondering it for days--I wonder how many miracles we have happen around us that go unnoticed? I am greatful for the chance to sit back and refect on that fact.